Re: Illumination at night

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_cs.ucc.ie>
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 1998 05:58:42 +0100 (BST)

Robin Mitra asks some questions about Yelmalio/Elmal. I'm _not_ going to touch the one about whether they're "really the same god", but I'll note that the anwsers to his questions are often different for each -- hrm!

> Since he is a God of Light I suspected
> he would provide some light, even though it is called by humans the Great
> Darkness. If the sun was still there, was it dark?

For most of the Darkness, there was some light, from "some kind of sun". GRAY desribes how the Dara Happans perceived this, for example. "Antirius" (the DH mini-sun) gradually weakens, and eventually dies. Yelmalio borrows mythology from Antirious, but it appears he does _not_ die -- though he may not manage much or any light, as he comes very to death, certainly. Elmal may also not die, I'm not certain.

> OK, you'are right Yelmalio does not shine at night. But during the day he
> cannot shine either, the sun is present (or is that a misinterpretation?).

Look up. See that nice shiny blue colour? ;-) If not, maybe you need to stop reading the digest so late at night -- I know _I_ do. ;-)

> So what is his time, only dusk and dawn?

No, but those times have a cultic signifance because that's when Yelm isn't in the sky, but Yelmalio is. He's the last light, and the first new light, just as he is in Dara Happan mythic history.

> And where is he at night? Is he
> somehow covered by Xentha, as Trotsky indicates? But without his father he
> was "the strongest god of light to live in the Darkness" (see above).

This aspect is likely considered, by the Yelmalio cult at any rate, to be most evident in Lightfore, the "counter-sun". Either Yelm or Lightfore is always in the sky, so in a sense, Yelmalio is the light that "proceedeth" from both of them. Ooops! -- have I just ignited the Filoque controvery on the Digest?

Slainte,
Alex.