The Unbearable Length of Rathor?

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_cs.ucc.ie>
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 1998 04:45:37 +0100 (BST)

Jose Ramos:
> First things first. I know the scales on the GcotHW maps are
> approximate, and population data are highly suspect, but Rathorela has a
> surface of 20000-25000 square kilometers (or is it miles? Well, I can live
> with a 2.5 factor) and 1 million rathori. So:

About _200,000_, if my arithmetic serves correctly. That's about 5 bearoids per km^2, which might still be a tad high. Anyone have a comparative reference? (Numbers are admittedly rough -- believe it or not, can find map, but not a ruler. It's in km, yes.) Mind you, what about 300,000 highly nomadic Uncolings in a area that's smaller, colder, less fertile and much less forested? Not clear which is the more anomalous. (Especially if the unfortunate Uncolings have to stave off Jose's bear people with pointed sticks!) ;-)

> - Not all rathori live in rathorela.

Perhaps not "all", but I think it's unlikely that enough of them live outside it to make any significant inroads into the population density, which I presume you found Implausible.

> - Even then, 100 people clans are unlikely. Bigger clans are needed.

Why? How many people seem reasonable to you in a three-generation kinship group? My number is a guess, I freely admit, but isn't at least the right order of magnitude?

> What is the use of a company of fifty rathori
> tribesmen? Certainly not to man the walls. You patrol your borders, raid
> your neighbours, and scout your enemies. Just like home.

That's at least a bit more reasonable that what I thought you were proposing, but even characterising a "company" of that sort of number of them operating together I find stretching it a bit. For this to Unusually Occur I can accept (look at Sartar and the Telmori, after all), but not as a commonplace.

> In the "What my Uncle told me" section of the Player=B4s Book you can see
> selection of Rathori deities. Not very different from what I would expect
> in
> Far Point, really.

Altogether different from what I'd expect in any Orlanthi region. Not at all different from what I'd expect in any Hsunchen nation.

> I stop unless someone beyond Alex is interested in this. Alex, we can
> continue to debate the truth of the GcotHW data by private e-mail.

Some of the other Usual Suspects have chipped in too, and no-one is _begging_ us to stop yet. I'm happy to either Shut Up or Witter On according to the received collective will, though.

Slainte,
Alex.