Population densities

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_voyager.co.nz>
Date: Sat, 17 Oct 1998 15:55:06 +1300 (NZDT)

Alex Ferguson:

>About _200,000_, if my arithmetic serves correctly. That's about 5
>bearoids per km^2, which might still be a tad high. Anyone have a
>comparative reference?

The best one that I've been able to find is the Chatham Islands which had a pop. density of 2.5 people per km^2. The Chathams are windswept isles similar in climate to the Falklands but most of their food is sea based.

The Aborigines of Tasmania numbered roughly 5000 in an isle at least 50 000 km^2 leading to a population density of .1 person per km^2. They have a taboo against the consumption of fish which would have decreased their population somewhat.

David Dunham's webpage mentions an article that claimed that an unmodified rain forest could support 2.6 people per km^2 (compared to 165 for swidden cultures).

Hence I think 2.5 people per km^2 is a reasonable estimate for hunter/gatherer cultures dwelling in the forests. The nearby uncolings have a population density of about 2 people per km^2 but they are nomadic herders living in a harsh environment.