Yelmalio

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_voyager.co.nz>
Date: Sat, 17 Oct 1998 20:33:48 +1300 (NZDT)

Keith Nellist:

>The point I was trying to make was that Yelmalio is a portion of the Sun
>worshipped in Storm areas and offers a B-list range of powers and I would
>expect Doburdun to be a portion of the Storm and to offer a B-list range of
>Storm powers. Both could be mystic ways to worship the respective elements in
>a way that is necessary for the Compromise.

But the cult of Yelmalio/Daysenervus was established in Nysalor's Time. Therefore he can't have anything to do with the Compromise! Doburdon is a god of ancient antiquity and has little to do with mysticism, according to Enclosure #1. This states that Doburdon is worshipped as part of the Goddess Entekos whose cult is sacrificial, not mystical.

There was a High Umath cult that was worshipped by Lokaymadon. I think that would be a better place for the mystical storm cult.

>Hence the confusion of the Godswall scholars/interpreters.

This is rather unnecessary. The episode is discussed on page 63 the GRAY Ivory Pages edition. The identity of the figure was a complete mystery and Plentonius claimed that it was Antirius. Since he seemed right on everything else, people took his word for it but were slightly puzzled (because it didn't look like Antirius). Nobody knew of Doburdon at this time.

About a century later, worshippers of Doburdon looked at the wall (they seem not to have visited Dara Happa before this) and said "That's our god!". "Hmm," say the Scholars, "You're right. I wonder what Plentonius claimed it was Antirius then?". They then got into an arguement about the nature of Truth but that's another story. Eventually it was agreed that Antirius was the beam of light that was shining down on the Emperor.

At this time, Nysalor isn't even born yet so there's no cult of Daysenervus/Yelmalio floating about.

>> Most people lost their draconic magics so the [Imperial SunDome] cult
>> would have been crippled IMO.

>But Yelmalio magic is known to be crap, many cult powers are derived from, as
>someone else noted, mystic style self deprvation.

True, but I wasn't talking about Yelmalio. I was talking about the Cult of the Sun Dragon. That had effective magics which had now disappeared. Ergo the cult would have been crippled.

>I do not beleive cults exist
>purely for the magic they give - Gloranthans are not really Minimaxers like
>players are. Out in Balazar crap defunct old sun magic is better than a nutty
>old shaman with bits of twig for magical regalia.

Gloranthans may not be minimaxers but the strategies that they adopt will be significant as to their future viability. God is on the side of the Big Battalions.