Masks of the Gods

From: Trevor Browne <trevor.browne_at_easynet.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 17 Oct 1998 13:18:30 +0100

Hello all,

Keith Nellist
>My own opinion of Daysenerus, Elmal, Antirius and Yelmalio is that they
are
>all masks of the same god, and that god is simply a portion of Yelm.

As far as I understand it, an analogy can be drawn here with Kyger Litor.

The Uz Lore book says about the trollkin curse - -..Kyger Litor was not so lucky, for when she wrestled with the curse, it overcame her and broke a _part of her spirit_ forever.

Also later
He[Gbaji] was not dead but very much alive, and now within the body of the Great Goddess with his deadly harms against us, _the weaker things, who make up the body of the Great Goddess_. He was not hiding the fact that he wanted one of us, the most beloved of all, and I myself threw all my soul to the defense of our beloved Mother of Many, gentle Korasting.

IMO this suggests that Kyger Litor's daughter Korasting, is a part of ( Aspect of ) her. In the same way it can be argued that Yelm's son Yelmalio is an aspect of him.

This too is comparable to the various aspects of Orlanth, thunderous, adventurous etc. Maybe Korasting is Kyger Litor(Fertile) or Yelmalio is Yelm(Suffering). IMO the only difference being, that when an aspect of the god is revered in a particular place it can sometimes be given a name(personality) of its own.

And Man made God in his own image :-)

While I don't mean that the gods actually come into being the way their worshippers want them to, their cults however may do (the worshippers may still believe they are doing what their god wants however). IMO the gods are not in total control of their cults (whether by choice, lack of communication or just their abstract nature). This I think is supported by heresy and theological differences amongst the members of a single cult. Surely if Yelm's mind was made up on what clothes his worshipers should wear, when they should worship and for what purpose, would he not say this is how to do it and don't stray from the path or I'll Sunspear the lot of you. Maybe the gods are just so abstracted from mortal understanding that the worshippers interpret heroquest visions and experiences as events, when really they are just metaphysical interactions of the heroplane. I do however think that things were a lot different before the dawn.

Anybody have any opinions or evidence which contradicts these theories, or supports them for that matter.

Trev

In the future everything will work.