Re: Masks of the Gods

From: Curtis Taylor <Vingkot_at_mothra.pomona.edu>
Date: Sat, 17 Oct 1998 14:51:57 -0700

Keith Nellist:

> My own opinion of Daysenerus, Elmal, Antirius and Yelmalio is that
> they are all masks of the same god,

Trevor Browne:

> (Says much the same thing about Kyger L. and Korasting and Orlanth
> and various aspects of Orlanth.)

I believe that Greg chimes in on the subject when he discusses collateral worship of gods in this month's Q&A at
<http://www.glorantha.com/greg/q-and-a.html>.

Also, there is Schmidt's Theory of Original Monotheism in our world that may be applicable to major Gloranthan deities.

Basically he says that primitive people may start out worshipping a supreme being, usually some kind of creator figure. However, this 'creator being' is usually hard to relate to so local, lesser beings are 'created' to worship. These lesser beings have aspects that are easier to relate to and more meaningful to the worshippers day to day living.

In our world Hinduism could be considered by some to fall under this theory. The deistic type creator would be Brahman, with the 3 main gods under Brahman (The Trimurti: Brahma, Shiva, and Vishnu) being simpler beings that receive worship.

The Trimurti have there own female companions (such as Kali for Shiva) that act somewhat as their enforcers, giving six aspects of the original high god Brahman.

Lao-tzu: the original anarchist.
Vingkot_at_mothra.pomona.edu