Arguments lost and ongoing

From: Kmnellist_at_aol.com
Date: Sun, 18 Oct 1998 05:05:23 EDT

Peter Metcalfe

<< But the cult of Yelmalio/Daysenervus was established in Nysalor's  Time. Therefore he can't have anything to do with the Compromise!  Doburdon is a god of ancient antiquity and has little to do with  mysticism, according to Enclosure #1. This states that Doburdon is  worshipped as part of the Goddess Entekos whose cult is sacrificial,  not mystical.

the "reason for continued existence" is CoP for Yelmalio is because of "sacred pacts signed in mythical times wherein Orlanth and Yelm grudgingly admitted each other's right to live. The pact allowed certain minor air gods to be worshipped in sky god territory and, conversely, some minor sky gods represent their element within storms. Such balance is, after all, necessary to maintain the cosmos."

I am not worried by your argument on this one, taking a subcult of Entekos and saying that it isn't mystical because Entekos isn't mystical also doesn't stack up. "Mystical" and "Sacrificial" being simply labels for types of worship. There being more than one way of skinning a rabbit I believe there is more than one way to worship a deity. No one suggested that Yelmalio was a mystic cult until about a week ago. Also, as Peter has said, a cult survives better if it gives reasonable powers, and mysticism surely gives no powers in the "world of being" unless the mystic succumbs to temptation. A mystic cult of Doburdon would therefore need to be found within a more approachable/undersandable deity, such as Entekos.

Rathori-wise, I accept defeat on my arguments for organised Bear Hsunchen longbowmen. OTOH I might still have them IMG.

Keith Nellist