Another Amad Folktale

From: madamx_at_mikka.net.au
Date: Sun, 18 Oct 1998 18:52:12 +1000

My apologies if this is in mime. I'm barely computer literate & consequentl= y
can't figure out how to kill it.
The New Plough
Kinros heard about the new plough they got down on the flats away past Far Point. Being a good farmer he geared up & went to take a look. It weren=B9t an easy trip. As he got further from Amad people got less &less generous. B= y
the time he=B9d got to Far Point they didn=B9t even know the greeting; was only that he was in good with Barntar that let him get fed at all. Out past Far Point there was those that didn=B9t even recognise that. The flatlanders got themselves a farm god called Lordral & it was his plough Kinros had come to see.
A great heavy thing it was, the share all of metal. Kinros watched the flatlanders using it. Watched how it turned the soil as it went. Watched it make the deep furrows you could trickle water down for the cabbages in fire season & he thought it a fine thing. It came to Kinros that he must have on= e
of these ploughs. To get one he swapped his strong hat,second best spear & three bear pelts he brought down to trade for metal. Then he found himself = a
dunk in the yard of a man who refused him hospitality, loaded up the plough in pieces, & started for home.
He got the plough home, put it together, & yoked up the oxen. They started off willing enough but you could see =8Cem slow up with each pass. Weren=B9t hard to see why either. Where Barntars plough, with the short narrow share, cut through the clay leaving a slim furrow just right for the seed this new plough got clay stuck all over its big blade. As Kinros pushed it further more clay stuck on til he=B9s almost dragging half the paddock. Course the oxen knock up before mid morn & Kinros is too good a farmer to push =8Cem where they can=B9t go. But he puts it down to =8Cem not being used to the heavier plough & goes & stacks fences for a while. Now Barngnome watched all this & weren=B9t real pleased. Bit of a stick in th= e
mud your Barngnome. Don=B9t like change. So gnome weren=B9t glad to see a new thing & even less glad to see the condition it left the bullocks in. Next morn Kinros came out to find his new plough on the barn roof & not cleaned neither. With much swearing he got it down & readied it for the beasts. Course they knocked up even quicker the second day & gnome had a talk to hi= s
kin & the plough kept on turning up rocks & getting blunter & blunter. When Kinros stopped ploughing he hadn=B9t a spell left in him. Next day were even worse. Gnome had chucked the plough into the oak on the edge of the far pasture & Kinros had to get the dunk out to fetch it home. Then the oxen, maybe cause they remembered or maybe cause gnome told =8Cem, wouldn=B9t stand for the yoke. All up Kinros didn=B9t get started ploughing til midday. By mid afternoon him & the bullocks both had enough. Next day it took him til midday just to find his plough, gnome shoved it down the root cellar & he=B9d to take the door off to get it back out. Then the off bullock stepped on hi= s
foot & broke it. While he was getting Missus to fix it gnome took the share & flung it in the creek. Enough was enough & Kinros give up on the new plough.
We didn=B9t lose by it though. We still got the dunk he took in the flatlands &Conla made him a new strong hat & two spear heads from the share. The fram= e
got broke up & used for bits & pieces, the handles are on my plough, & the yoke we still use for dressing beasts.

Darvall.
Madamx_at_mikka.net.au
>From quiet homes & first beginnings,

Out to the undiscovered ends,
There's nothing worth the wear of winning, But laughter & the love of friends. Hilaire Belloc

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE>Another Amad Folktale</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY BGCOLOR=3D"#FFFFFF">

My apologies if this is in mime. I'm barely computer literate & consequentl= y can't figure out how to kill it.<B><BR> The New Plough</B><BR>
Kinros heard about the new plough they got down on the flats away past Far = Point. Being a good farmer he geared up & went to take a look. It weren=B9t a= n easy trip. As he got further from Amad people got less &less generous. By = the time he=B9d got to Far Point they didn=B9t even know the greeting; was only = that he was in good with Barntar that let him get fed at all. Out past Far P= oint there was those that didn=B9t even recognise that. The flatlanders got th= emselves a farm god called Lordral & it was his plough Kinros had come to se= e.<BR>
A great heavy thing it was, the share all of metal. Kinros watched the flat=
landers using it. Watched how it turned the soil as it went. Watched it make=
 the deep furrows you could trickle water down for the cabbages in fire seas=
on & he thought it a fine thing. It came to Kinros that he must have one of =
these ploughs. To get one he swapped his strong hat,second best spear & thre=
e bear pelts he brought down to trade for metal. Then he found himself a dun=
k in the yard of a man who refused him hospitality, loaded up the plough in =
pieces, & started for home.<BR>
He got the plough home, put it together, & yoked up the oxen. They started = off willing enough but you could see =8Cem slow up with each pass. Weren=B9t har=
d to see why either. Where Barntars plough, with the short narrow share, cut=
 through the clay leaving a slim furrow just right for the seed this new plo=
ugh got clay stuck all over its big blade. As Kinros pushed it further more =
clay stuck on til he=B9s almost dragging half the paddock. Course the oxen kno= ck up before mid morn & Kinros is too good a farmer to push =8Cem where they c= an=B9t go. But he puts it down to =8Cem not being used to the heavier plough & g= oes & stacks fences for a while.<BR>
Now Barngnome watched all this & weren=B9t real pleased. Bit of a stick in th= e mud your Barngnome. Don=B9t like change. So gnome weren=B9t glad to see a new =
thing & even less glad to see the condition it left the bullocks in. Next mo=
rn Kinros came out to find his new plough on the barn roof & not cleaned nei=
ther. With much swearing he got it down & readied it for the beasts. Course =
they knocked up even quicker the second day & gnome had a talk to his kin & =
the plough kept on turning up rocks & getting blunter & blunter. When Kinros=
 stopped ploughing he hadn=B9t a spell left in him. Next day were even worse. = Gnome had chucked the plough into the oak on the edge of the far pasture & K= inros had to get the dunk out to fetch it home. Then the oxen, maybe cause t= hey remembered or maybe cause gnome told =8Cem, wouldn=B9t stand for the yoke. A= ll up Kinros didn=B9t get started ploughing til midday. By mid afternoon him &=  the bullocks both had enough. Next day it took him til midday just to find = his plough, gnome shoved it down the root cellar & he=B9d to take the door off=  to get it back out. Then the off bullock stepped on his foot & broke it. Wh= ile he was getting Missus to fix it gnome took the share & flung it in the c= reek. Enough was enough & Kinros give up on the new plough.<BR> We didn=B9t lose by it though. We still got the dunk he took in the flatlands=  &Conla made him a new strong hat & two spear heads from the share. The fram= e got broke up & used for bits & pieces, the handles are on my plough, & the=  yoke we still use for dressing beasts. <BR> <BR>
Darvall. <BR>
Madamx_at_mikka.net.au<BR>
>From quiet homes & first beginnings,<BR>
Out to the undiscovered ends,<BR>
There's nothing worth the wear of winning,<BR> But laughter & the love of friends. Hilaire Belloc<BR>

</BODY>
</HTML>

End of The Glorantha Digest V6 #283