Humakti initiation.

From: Simon Hibbs <simonh_at_msi-uk.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 1998 11:40:14 +0100

Paul Bestwick asks about Humakti initiation and membership in other cults, or the severing of family ties.

Keith Nellist :

>I now think that Humakti INITIATES should sever their ties to all other
>gods.

I don't think Initiation into Humakt is anywhere near this severe. I'd prefer to think of it in terms of the life of Humakt and the stages Humakt went thorough.

Humakt's initiation into adyulthood was performed by his uncle Genert when Humakt and his brothers Orlanth, Urox, Ragnaglar and the other were cast into the pits of testing. Humakt was thrown into the weapons pit and so Humakti initiation would take the same form. If the initiatio is successful then the initiate is at the same stage in his life as Humakt was - a skilled warrior who has proven his skill with weapons but is still 'part of the family'.

Initiation into runelord Sword status would follow the form of Humakt's journey into hell and mastery of Death. At this point I agree that the Sword would have to sever his ties to his kin, as Humakt did.

The exact form of the initiation swould vary slightly according to local tradition, so as GM you can make up the details to suit your preffernces.

Simon Hibbs