Black Moon

From: Simon Hibbs <simonh_at_msi-uk.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 1998 15:03:27 +0100

W know that lunar magic is cyclical and that it is at it's height when the moon is full - i.e. at it's brightest. We also know that the Carmainans with their dualist religious philosophy and see the red moon as personifying both the forces of light and darkness.

So, what are the powers associated with the Black Moon?

Note that the moon is not actualy half black, the dark side is due to the influence of destyx, which is a darkness-emitting satelite of the moon. Also we know that the trolls have connections to the lunar pantheon through Jakaleel. She worshiped Zorak Zoran and was associated with the blue moon trolls who, despite the natural trollish dislike of all things glowy, at least tolerate stuff that glows blue.

Perhaps what we know about the magical influences of the moon from Runequest is incomplete or missleading? Perhaps only the goddy-two-shoes

lunar magic is most powerfull during the full moon, but madness and mind-blast type nasty stiuff is actualy at it's weakest during the full moon, and most potent under the black orb?

The downside is that this is more complicated and picky to deal with in-game, but putting playability to one side for a sec (we can pick it up again later) what do you think?

Perhaps it's just some Black Moon magicians that have their power relationship with the moon reversed? If so, how, why and what does it mean?

All Hail the Black Moon!

Simon Hibbs