Fwd: Lunar Army

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_cs.ucc.ie>
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 1998 18:16:45 +0100 (BST)

Martin Laurie posts about Dodgy Dara Happans in the Lunar army:

> Though it is subtle, such tarnished units are watched _very_
> closely and have more than their share of Tarnils officers from Glamour
> and other Lunar strongholds of belief.

I betcha! I like Chris and Nick's idea of phalanx-type units having a triarchy command, and I suspected this may be a Lunar innovation, perhaps with such a motivation. Suppose a unit's original structure had a posh-but-useless noble commander, and a grizzled salt-of-the- earth "NCO" or career officer doing most of the actual work, notionally his deputy. (Or "Lieutenant", a word which one hesitates to use because of it's "shavetail" type connotations in modern armies.) To this the Lunars add a sort of "Political Officer", to keep an eye on the other two...

Even if the three-officer group picture is an invariant, though, I doubt the above scenario will be. In "loyal" units POs will be less required, though equally there will tend to be more YT guys in those anyway. I could invisage there being a requirement that at least one of the three be a YT chap, though which one could vary enormously. (Which one in the sense of there being a commander and two distinct deputy roles.)

BTW, this was a very informative and nifty post altogether, Martin. So much so I'm tempted to try and repost it it with the formatting "cleaned up" -- though last time I tried that, it failed miserably, so I fear the condition may be infectious...

Slainte,
Alex.

End of The Glorantha Digest V6 #285