Hoary old Horali

From: mob <mob_at_bayswater.schnet.edu.au>
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 1998 09:11:58 +0500

G'day all,

Hoary old Horali

Jose Ramos:
> The West knows (and IMO rejects) one of the best infantries in
>Glorantha, the brithini horali. They just know that no matter how good it
>seems, it is an obsolete concept, even if it has some merit.

And Peter Metcalfe:
>>The West can't adopt Horali tactics simply because their men will
>>grow old and die before they complete their training.

Yeah, boot camp lasts 35 years...

The Brithini *can't* innovate: even thinking about it causes a few more gray hairs and crow's feet round the eyes. Ergo, I think the west reject Horali tactics because they are hopelessly outdated. When playing "Civilisation" have you ever forgotten to upgrade one of your 300BC phalanx units, only to find it up against modern infantry a millennium or so later? I think that's the sort of situation - however, in this case, by virtue of their centuries of training and magical augmentation, the phalanx are virtually unkillable by normal methods. Fortunately, if they not easy to kill, their actions are entirely predictable (if you've read the right history books) and so they're pretty easy to keep your distance from. Also, they don't tend to venture far out of Arolanit these days.

Cheers,

MOB