Invisible Orlanth

From: Morgan Conrad <mpc_at_coastside.net>
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 1998 00:48:07 -0700

I'm running a semi-Runequest campaign (using Ray Turney's new rules, see http://members.xoom.com/dquill/runequest/)

and the characters are checking out Lunar Carmania. I was trying to think of what the heck the Invisible Orlanth cult could be. Checking in past digests, I see that many others are confused by it, and several have simply said that it made no sense and they eliminated it. I had a difficult time coming up with anything logical too! Here's my idea for a cult that might be appealing or at least acceptable to Orlanthi within the Empire, Lunars, and Carmanians.

The Invisible Orlanth cult teaches that the "true" Orlanth (whatever true is) is (or will become?) Illuminated, and will then "marry" (perhaps symbolically?) the Red Goddess. Somehow, this brings about the White Moon, either directly or through a child - they aren't very clear on this. Carmanians like the fact that it brings back "balance", both cosmically and sexually, Dara Happans are happy that the Red Goddess will win a strong husband, Orlanthi can think that Orlanth will reign supreme in the new household, and Lunars know that it is actually the Red Goddess who will reign supreme and has tamed the barbarian chieftain.

Obviously, most Sartarite Orlanthi are repulsed by this cult, but they aren't the members! Lunarized Carmanians can rationalize that the Sartarites are worshipping the wrong emanation anyhow.

Comments? What horrible flaws are there?

Morgan Conrad
mpc_at_coastside.net