RE: Red Moon

From: Hibbs, Philip <philip.hibbs_at_tnt.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 1998 11:41:16 +0100

>However, the Red Moon's presence in the picture
>is meant to be more emblematic ... than a
>definitive statement about where it sits in the sky.

No doubt Lunar artists will always portray the Red Moon as being high in the sky, for the benefit of those back home. Many Lunar heartlanders, especially those with loved ones off fighting the barbarians, would be disconcerted to feel that the RM appears low in the sky to them.

I don't believe that the RM is even lower in the sky to Pamaltelans, I don't think it obeys laws of parallax. I am interested, however, in how it appears as one crosses the glowline - does it just flick up to a higher position, does it slide up over the course of a number of kilometers, or is there some inscrutable special effect that obscures the process?

philip.hibbs_at_tnt.co.uk
http://members.tripod.com/~PhilHibbs/
Any view of things that is not strange is false