Re: The Glorantha Digest V6 #285

From: Paul Bestwick <zopab1_at_nottscc.gov.uk>
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 1998 12:10:45 +0100

Simon Hibbs <simonh_at_msi-uk.com> wrote
>Subject: Humakti initiation.
>
>I don't think Initiation into Humakt is anywhere near this severe. I'd
>prefer to think of it in terms of the life of Humakt and the stages
>Humakt went thorough.

I agree with this point, but the decision about where to tie the initiation to is more open to debate. I say this because at this point Humakt still had some Storm powers and Ragnaglar was still part of the family. This is a story about how things used to be not as they are now. My point is that the defining point of Humakts were his first use of death and the severing of his connection to Storm. This to me is what initiation is about. You could then have the point that when the initiate reaches Sword status, they are the allowed 'back in to the community' representing Humakt rejoining Orlanths household and so allowing them to join other cults as initiates (as per GoG notes at the start). This reflects some real world religious communities where the leadership have much more dealings with the outside world than most.

Paul Bestwick