Re: Red Moon

From: TTrotsky_at_aol.com
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 1998 17:59:07 EDT

Phillip Hibbs:

<< I don't believe that the RM is even lower in the sky to Pamaltelans, I
don't think it obeys laws of parallax.>>

     No, it doesn't.

<< I am interested, however, in how it appears as one crosses the glowline -
does it just flick up to a higher position, does it slide up over the course of a number of kilometers, or is there some inscrutable special effect that obscures the process?>>

     IMO, it slides up over a variable distance. However, the length of that distance will vary with the Lunar Way's influence over the surrounding region. So its relatively high up in Sartar, but becomes significantly lower as one crosses into Kethaela, and then lower still in places like Seshnela and Kralorela. I have no particular evidence to support this theory, it just seems neat. This, rather than parallax, would explain the (proposed and entirely unsubstantiated) low position of the Red Moon in Pamaltela.

Forward the glorious Red Army!

    Trotsky