Re: Balazar

From: TTrotsky_at_aol.com
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 1998 17:59:10 EDT

Mikael Raaterova:

<< BTW, what are the chances that Balazar was actually theyalan and hence a follower of Elmal? [snip]
Balazar is said to have come from the 'northwest lands' in 1082. Anyone care to name those lands? >>

     I name them 'Trotskonia'.

     No? Well in that case, assuming he didn't come a really long distance, this could refer to Saird, Imther or Garsting. Saird was at the time a primarily Theyelan land, and Imther may well have been too. However, the map on p43 of Fortunate Succession has a little arrow heading out of Garsting marked 'Balazar 1082' and pointing towards the land of the same name. So, assuming that marks the whole of his journey, not just the last bit, the chap came from Garsting.

     In the 17th century, Garsting is a Blank Land, but back in the eleventh century we know that it was still inhabited by the Zarkosians, a primitive goat-herding people. And that really is about the only thing we know about them - although they presumably aren't Theyelan, given how much we know the Orlanthi just LOVE goats.

Forward the glorious Red Army!

     Trotsky