Re: Invisible Orlanth

From: Loren Miller <loren_at_wharton.upenn.edu>
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 1998 00:19:56 +0000

Morgan Conrad <mpc_at_coastside.net> speculates:

> and the characters are checking out Lunar Carmania. I was trying to think
> of what the heck the Invisible Orlanth cult could be. Checking in past
> digests, I see that many others are confused by it, and several have simply
> said that it made no sense and they eliminated it.

Here are my very recent discoveries...

Now, IMG, Invisible Orlanth is a mystical cult popular mainly in Lunar Carmania. Along the lines of recent discoveries about Yelmalio, IO is to Orlanth as Yelmalio is to Yelm. Drop the Rex magic. Drop the Thundrous magic. Drop the direct thunder powers, thunderbolt and woad and thunderstone. What's left? Telekinesis, Flight, Teleport, common magic. Priests are rune lord types, who symbolically embody IO, the healed storm that was cured of its mad rages and thoughtless violence. It is a city cult, ill-suited to the barbarian hills, more suited to those houses that have lost their noble lines and become a poor noble class, the source of masterless warriors, alchemists, armorers, gaolers, chirurgeons, professional militia and soldiers, and adventurers (aka brigands). They practice poetry in the lunar style. They are stolid and slow to anger, yet strong when aroused. They are great romancers, and honey is a holy sacrament. They have no temples of their own, worshipping at shrines in the Red Goddess's temples. When the Red Goddess asks for a favor, they must answer. Frankly, they are not very Carmanian in style, and this is why they are controversial, but the Lunar government approves of and encourages them.

Loren Miller <loren_at_wharton.upenn.edu> "If men cease to believe that they will one day become gods then they will surely become worms." --Henry Miller, "The Colossus of Maroussi"