Mystic Cults

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_voyager.co.nz>
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 1998 21:13:01 +1300 (NZDT)

Keith Nellist:

>> Perhaps you can point out where a subcult of a cult has a radically
>> different worship style to the cult?

>OK: Yelmalio - sitting in a retirement tower or being a Templar

Is there a difference in worship styles between the two? I do not think so. This arguement revolves around the point of whether the worship of a minor deity wholely subsumed within a major one can have a different worship style (like, for example, a materialistic subcult within a shamanistic cult).

>Shargash: Lord of the the Dark Way; Transecendental Darkness mystics

IMO the Dark Path is not a subcult of Shargash in that it exists distinctly from the other paths. It is not therefore a subcult along the lines of, say, Orlanth Rex which is the relationship which is implied by the Enclosure #1 writeup.

All of your other examples are prone to these objections.

Me>> whole stack of mystical cults. To wit, they
>> are: Aronius Jaranthir, Dayzatar, Idovanus, Jernotio, Katalyo, Rashorana,
>> Tareltara, Zaytenera. None of them need the crutch of being approachable
>> within a more understandable diety. Hence I feel it is weak to suggest
>> that Doburdon must need one.

>If Rashorana, Zaytenara are not mystical branches of Rufelza, and Lunar
>Religion in generla I would be surprised.

They are seperate cults in their own right which was my point. There are about a thousand worshippers of Zaytenera in Rinliddi, a mystical cult that is not contained within another cult. I've snipped the rest of your objections in adherance to rule #3 as similar counter-objections can be levelled against them.

>Hence I feel it is weak to suggest that Doburdon does not need one.

Then why does Yelmalio _not_ have a crutch of being approachable withini a more understandable god? I gave that example _first_ before listing the rest of the mystical gods within the Lunar Empire yet this has not been addressed.