RE: The Glorantha Digest V6 #288

From: Hibbs, Philip <philip.hibbs_at_tnt.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 1998 15:02:53 +0100

>I do think [the Red Moon] obeys laws of parallax --
>it's a physical body, and thus physical laws apply.

>I don't see why the Red Moon has to be a special exception.

It is a magical body on the edge of the Middle Air, not in the mundane world. Inside the glowline, it is at the border of the Upper and Middle air, elsewhere it is at the border of the Lower and Middle Air. When you cross the glowline, it makes the transition. This emphasises the fact that the Red Moon is a personal, transcendental revelation.

>You surely want it right overhead when in Glamour,
>and not so elsewhere, and this implies parallax.

Parallax is just one possible mechanism for an object being in different directions from different places. I believe it does a 'clever trick' when you cross the glowline, and appears to be in a different direction thereafter. Maybe it does the same again when you enter Glamour.

The final destiny of the Red Moon is to be directly overhead (like zenith) from all locations. Then maybe the Sky Dome will stop doing it's silly beer-glass wobble.

philip.hibbs_at_tnt.co.uk
http://members.tripod.com/~PhilHibbs/
Any view of things that is not strange is false