Hero MOBs.

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_cs.ucc.ie>
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 1998 18:38:04 +0100 (BST)

MOB is dragged kicking and screaming down the road to Damascus:
> And, you've also convinced me that HW *can* operate at various power levels
> from total tosser up to uberhero, though, as I understand it, the rules,
> scenarios etc will be skewed towards the upper end of the scale.

The actual _rules_ seemed to me to be just about the epitome of scalability, which is quite an impressive feat in itself. (I'm incredulous that some people think the target/mastery system is a "clumsy mechanic".) Scenarioes I dunno about -- I think either Greg or Robin said at convulsion there would be three scenarios in each of the regional books, each at a different "power level". (Whatever those happen to be.) But due to the scalability, noted above, the actual mechanics should be very simple to translate. (Granted you can only do this up to a point without making a nonsense out of yer typical scenario background. "Odd, who'd have thought the Red Emperor was rated 17/3 in his sideline abilities?")

> I mean, just about all of us are gonna buy it anyway, right?
> The other 95% of prospective punters Chaosium hope will buy
> the game are out there, blissfully unconnected to the Digest and unaware of
> whatever we might say here. So roll on the comments if you got 'em, I say!

Hee-ah, hee-ah! While there have certainly been intemperate words on HW on the list, one could say that about many a topic... I don't think the discussion of HW is the exercise in futility the nay-sayers have suggested. Granted, the possiblity of affecting the actual product significantly by this, slim to start with, is likely getting to be on the Vanishingly Minute side at this late stage. But if merely from the point of view of Psychic Massage of us temperamental Digesters, I think that a non-histrionic level of discussion here is preferable to merely sitting passively on the sidelines like meek consumers while Wiser Heads take Top Level Decisions on the new game. Which latter option would seem slightly contrary to the spirit of "opening up" Glorantha, which seemed to be the tack taken by Issaries promoflak (especially vis a vis proposing to sell us bits of it, for one thing).

Slainte,
Alex.