Re: Triarchies

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_cs.ucc.ie>
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 1998 19:34:27 +0100 (BST)

I suggest "Political Officers" tacked on to "dodgy" Dara Happan regiments by those sneaky Lunars, Nick Brooke disagreeth:
> Not for a Heartland regiment: there, they make sure the "noble commander"
> and his teenage chinless sidekick (the Military Tribune) are reliable Lunar
> types, who can keep an eye on the NCO

I was thinking in terms of Martin's recently-revealed "unreliable" Dara Happan types, whose chinless wonders would surely be appointed according to local tradition, and hence be equally unreliable, unreconstructed Solar, pillar of the patriarchy types, or at least, under chronic suspicion of being such.

> We shunted the "Political Officers" out to the Provincial Army, where the
> role is taken by priestesses of the Seven Mothers Cult (attached as
> regimental chaplains).

But in the Provinces, 7M cultists are probably hip-deep anyway, so I'd think this would be somewhat unnecessary anyway. Especially if the commander is an actual (rather than perhaps merely notional) YT fellah. Perhaps this depends just how "unreconstructed" the local troops are from their Bad Old Barbarian Days.

> And the Empire can't force Political Officers on its barbarian
> Allies, who get unfortunate junior liaison officers instead.

Though equally, they might keep the same structure "on paper", and conveniently ignore just how desparately unlikely it is to work out anything like that in practice. (Though of course they actually know perfectly well, and hence assign a very junior "triarch", someone who's pissed off the High Command, or alternatively, some right hard bastard with a Badge of Barbarian Impressing, who, they hope, can wow them with his magnetic personality. (Obviously Polaris cultists are particularly good at this, har-har.)

> The regimental commander or one of his two
> lieutenants (NB: these are *not* the other two Triarchs)

Odd. I'm not sure I grasp the purpose of the distinction.

Slainte,
Alex.