RE: Fewer gods than you drink they are?

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_cs.ucc.ie>
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 1998 21:06:47 +0100 (BST)

Charles Corrigan quoth:
> Alex, inspired by many others

I prefer to think of myself as "incited". ;-)

> - Greg Stafford's statement that there are far fewer gods than we had
> previously believed but, at the same time, each one is actually distinct.

I would question this latter part. I don't recalling him saying anything so definite.

> - Greg's other (but much better hidden) bombshell at Convulsion regarding
> heropaths - they are imprinted on the believers not on the heroplane.

I don't recall this one. Remind me, what exactly did he say?

My initial reaction is that this is likely just another way at looking at the same thing. Is the Divine Out There, or is it In Here?

> My theory is that there are fewer than 30 fundamental gods

You have to recall the correct statement of Stafford's Law in full:

"There are always fewer gods than you think there are, even taking Stafford's Law into account."

And his second Law...

"There are always more gods than you think..."

> I am not familiar enough with the other traditions such as the East/Mystical
> or Pamalt to argue a case.

If Pamaltela's a problem, it'd be in that they identified _different_ "fundamental gods" (or that they speared you for asking rude questions). In the case of either the Mystical tradition of Peloria, or the Eastern tradition, they would not really accept that there are ultimately distinct godheads in the fashion you suggest.

Of course, the West doesn't either. They'd agree with your Principles, but say these are just cosmological forces, not "gods". They'd be _most_ put out at your suggestion that _their_ one, true god is an instance of one of these. Rather, he contains all of them. (Or presides over 'em, whichever.)

> But if you are talking of the powers of godhood and
> the principles that they represent then, say, two Storm gods with different
> names and myths are really the same thing.

Yes. But some might say that the "powers and principles" were just, in their turn, Bigger Masks of the Divine. (Or the Transcendent, if you prefer.)

Slainte,
Alex.