Humakti Orlanthi

From: Jane Williams <jane_at_williams.nildram.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 18 Oct 1998 11:52:43 +0100

Joining in a bit late here, perhaps.
Paul Bestwick asked:
> Given the relationship of Humakt with Orlanth in Godtime, do you think
> I am being unreasonable to my players if I cause them to renounce
> their Orlanth initiatship on joining the cult of Humakt.

Most of the obvious answers have been given, but I think the real one is that there are many ways of worshipping Humakt, even among one clan. Which aspect of Humakt do they emphasize? If it's the Separator, the guy who left his family because they were (in his eyes) dishonourable, then yes, the new initiate should leave the cult of Orlanth. Otherwise, it might be viewed as a Good Thing, but it can't be essential. As others have pointed out before me, joint Orlanthi/Humakti are a documented part of Gloranthan history.

BTW, as far as I can see these joint O/Is are of two main types: 1) Ex-adventurers who ended up as joint Rune levels. Somehow. Giving 90% of their time to each cult. Sounds odd to me, but I seem to remember Londra managed this.
2) Tribal kings who are known to be Humakti. To be kings, they must be O. Rex initiates, and they're obviously still members of their tribes. Malan had children, too, so the idea of Humakti losing Fertility must have exceptions.

I would guess, thought, that Orlanth as provider of male potency and Humakt as the opposite of all fertility are not compatible options. Nor are Orlanth as Storm and Humakt as separated-from-Storm. But pick and choose your aspects, and it should be OK.

Another option to keep you Humakti weird is to say that they're perfectly normal members of the clan who happen to be dead. Still walking and talking, but dead. The initiation is also a funeral. Quite how you fit this in with having kids I'm not sure.

Jane Williams jane_at_williams.nildram.co.uk http://homepages.nildram.co.uk/~janewill/gloranth/