Balazar

From: Joerg Baumgartner <joe_at_toppoint.de>
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 98 18:13 MET DST

> Mikael Raaterova:

>>BTW, what are the chances that Balazar was actually theyalan and hence a
> >follower of Elmal?

Peter Metcalfe
> Not good. Balazaring is a Pelorian language which implies that
> Balazar was Pelorian and not Theyalan.

While I agree with the conclusion, I disagree with the reasoning. I doubt that Balazar brought a language to his country. IMO the native humans of Balazar spoke a Pelorian language anyway. They certainly are part of the Pelorian mythic cycle (Anaxial's debarkers).

There is nothing to indicate that Balazar would have invited Orlanthings into his country. What he did was to quest (into Maniria? to the Ivory Plinth?) to bring back the sow mother (Mralota? or rather Urgkronika?).

>>What are the chances that the influx of theyalans
>>(fleeing the Red Moon) into the lands of Balazar during the 14th
>>century rewrote the myths and legends and made Balazar (the man, not
>>the land) theyalan or, rather, an Elmal worshipper?

> Not high. Balazar is a bleak place to flee to. There's a reason
> why the fecund Orlanthi have not yet displaced the Votanki despite
> having lived right next to them for several centuries.

Especially when Arim's kingdom of Tarsh offered not just a haven from persecution, but rich land.

>>Also, Balazar is said to have come from the 'northwest lands' in 1082. >>Anyone care to name those lands?

> Northwest of Balazar, I imagine. He can come from Sylila, Vanch
> or even Kostaddi.

Or somewhere in the Arcos Valley - Garsting, Jarst, or Rinliddi. All of these are west of the Elf Sea.