Sylangi

From: Joerg Baumgartner <joe_at_toppoint.de>
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 98 18:13 MET DST

>Alex
>>how much is Known about the Sylangi, the Curtali, and the Enstalos,
>>come to that?

David Cake
> Well, the Sylangi were granted the lands of the Kultain by the
> Lunars, so they are pretty pro-Lunar.

I don't really think that the Sylangi were pro-Lunar. My best guess is they were less active than the other Volsaxi tribes in the 1619 fighting because Fazzur moved faster through their land than they could muster.

The merging of the Kultain and the Sylangi was a Lunar pacifying project, decreed from above. I'm not even certain whether this was a Fazzurite or a Tatiusite decision.

The reason for the merging is likely to be found in the Volsaxi raids of 1615 and 1616, which stirred up some trouble in southern Sartar. By making the lands of their former raids their own territory, the Sylangi might be made an ally against the other Volsaxi tribes. Divide et Impera - - making the Kultain members of a Volsaxi tribe won't have earned them sympathies in Sartar, either.

> Joerg
>>I keep wondering why the Sylangi and C/Kurtali, former "possessors" of
>>Whitewall, should celebrate its fall after supporting the besieged
>>defenders for two years.

> Have they been defending them?

Who else? Brian mustered his Volsaxi army, consisting of Sylangi, Curtali, and Bacofi tribesmen, when Fazzur marched, and managed to retreat with it into Whitewall. The colourful extras as presented in RQA #3 don't make up the majority of the defenders, nor do the Sartarite exiles among Brian's followers.

> The Sylangi, especially, seem to be
> very Pro-Lunar,

What, apart from their receiving the Kultain clans, makes you think so?

> and while they may be former possessors of Whitewall, they
> gave up some of their traditional lands in return for the Kultain
> lands - so they probably no longer directly neighbour Whitewall.
> This happened only after the invasion of Volsaxiland (1619), so I
> think its safe to assume the Sylangi are still pro-Lunar in 1621.

I don't see why they would have been pro-Lunar to start with, in 1617 or 1619. Why would any tribe in a tribal federation with a popular and uncontested charismatic leader like Brian be pro-Lunar? That's like trying to find pro-Lunar tribes in Sartar at Terasarin's death.

> The Curtali is based on reports that the Curtali and Bacofi feud
> constantly, and as the Bacofi are very anti-Lunar, I assume the
> Curtali have become very pro-Lunar. The Bacofi support the besieged
> defenders, the Curtali do not.

Just because Argrath had a feud with Kallyr in 1628 doesn't make either of them pro-Lunar, does it? I guess you'll find it hard to discover tribes, especially more basic Orlanthi ones like the Volsaxi, which don't feud.

It sounds strange that only one of three Volsaxi tribes supports the besieged city in your picture, when even Sartarites give covert support.

>>The Enstalos are a new plant, not yet existant in 1621.

> I have the Dundealos (and my main source here is David Halls 'The
> Tribes and populations of Sartar', published in QuestLines - you
> may have better sources)

Not at all. I was referring to the same source from memory. Serves me right... Somewhere in my brain the Dundealos presence up to 1622 was firmly anchored.

> as rebelling in 1618, and presumably the new tribe being created
> that year or the next. Certainly the map clearly indicates that
> they exist in 1621.

Didn't the map show the situation in 1623?