D20 for specials/criticals

From: Paul Bestwick <zopab1_at_nottscc.gov.uk>
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 1998 12:55:55 -0000

A while back I suggested a rules mod for RQ. I suggested rolling an extra d20 to determine if a special critical or fumble had been scored (if hit scored on %dice then 1 critical, 2-5 special. If miss scored then 20 is a fumble). A thought occurred to me the other day about using this in a Gloranthan context. When a Lunar worshipping character (both PC/NPC) is in combat within the Glowline or outside the Glowline when the Moon is full, their chance to special could be raised by 1. As for other religious mods an obvious one is for Humakti to have +1 chance to special when using a sword, but have -1 when using any other weapon. Uroxi to have +1 chance to special when fighting chaos. If you don't like applying as wide ranging chances as these, they could be introduced as gifts/geases. Or even as the result of a heroquest (to study at the hall of Kargan Tor (is this the right guy)).
The other benefit of using this system is that at very low and very high percentages you can still fumble/miss/hit/special and critical. In the current system 01 always criticals and 00 always fumbles, you can't always special.

   I know this is mainly RQ, but it is applying it in a specifically Gloranthan context. So for those who don't like this I apologise in advance.

Paul Bestwick