Kalt, crafter deities

From: Jane Williams <jane_at_williams.nildram.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 1998 08:15:54 -0000

So far apart from the bad puns, we seem to have Kalt as either the Moon or Air.

Which moon was around then, anyway? And what are we doing with a *male* moon?

Kalt = Kolat: nice idea, but Kolat is one of Orlanth's brothers, not his uncle. At least, "The sons of Umath" has Kolat as the eldest son and Orlanth as the youngest. But in "The initiation", on the next page, Vadrus seems to have taken Kolat's place as eldest son, having moved up from position 3. "The other one" (Ragnaglar) makes up the five sons. So maybe Kolat got promoted, and became an enemy. Or maybe it was his influence that made sure the tests were non-lethal. I think that's the idea I'll go with for now.

Crafter deities: there does seem to be a shortage, doesn't there? I have a vague idea that someone once published a collection of these, but my Gloranthan Library, apart from the usual LM filing system, is currently boxed up avoiding wall-paper paste so I can't check.

I seem to remember Minlister the Brewer: he's a crafter. "Orlanth's Ring" gives us Pela the Food Keeper, weaver of baskets. Grandfather Mortal had previously turned down the chance to be master of Mirror-Polishing, so presumably someone somewhere is the god of that.

Surely the goddess of weaving is Arachne Solara? Though relegating her to a crafter position seems a little odd. Maybe one of Ernalda's handmaids quested to A.S. to learn to weave.

Jane Williams jane_at_williams.nildram.co.uk http://homepages.nildram.co.uk/~janewill/gloranth/