Humaki kin revisited

From: Dougie Crawford <dougiepunk_at_bigfoot.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Nov 1998 18:05:13 -0000

>In Anglo-Saxon England, a noble warrior had two ties: lord and kin.
>The tie to his lord was stronger than that two his kin. Accepting the
>equation Humakti = housecarl = noble warrior, perhaps the severing a
Humakti
>performs is part of his oath of loyalty to his lord. The lord then becomes
>responsible for weregelds, rather than the family.

Yes! This is always the way I've seen Humakti's kin-severing. He (she)'s a professional killer so his family don't want to be responsible for his actions. Instead, his lord/merc company etc become his legal family. Does'nt mean he can't visit his mum or enjoy a shag and enjoy life (don't agree with this over obsession wth death thing either - they are just proffesional soldiers)(. If a humakti loses his lord/regiment etc he is effectively an outlaw (although hopefully without anyone with a personal vengance against him). Just my tu'pence.

Dougie
dougiepunk_at_bigfoot.com

End of The Glorantha Digest V6 #304