Re: The Glorantha Digest V6 #309

From: Chris Bell <nospamargrath_at_xsite.net>
Date: Mon, 09 Nov 1998 23:34:04 -0600

>------------------------------
>
>Date: Thu, 5 Nov 98 21:10:48 CDT
>From: wapiti_at_olivia.cedar-rapids.ia.us (Baron von Moosehsunchen)
>Subject: Re: Praxian Elements and Tarot
>
>& And what would Praxians use instead of tarot cards for divination?
>&
>& Neil Smith email: neil.smith_at_rmcs.cranfield.ac.uk
>
>Bones. Weavings (think dream-catcher). Testicles of defeated enemies. That
>sort of thing.
>
>Scotty

On a related note, has anyone done a Gloranthan interpretation of the classic Tarot? That would be *very cool*. Use of the greater desities of Glorantha for the various major Arcana would be very illuminating (sic.) One may imagine that gambling houses in the holy country may well have card decks based on the Gods.

A few correspondences...

The Fool - Eurmal
The Magician - Zzabur
The High Priestess - Ourania, or perhaps Ginna Jar The Emporer - Orlanth Rex(Renamed The King) or Yelm The Empress - Ernalda, Denadara?
The Heirophant - Dayzatar or Pharoah
The Chariot - Mastakos (obviously!) or Lokarnos Strength - Storm Bull
The Devil - Wakboth/Kajabor
Death - Humakt
The Hanged Man - Daka Fal, Nysalor, Arkat or Flesh Man The Hermit - Lhankor Mhy
The Star - Yelorna
The Sun- Elmal
The Moon - Rufelza

The Tower - The Spike!
The World - Glorantha!
Temperance-Chalana Arroy

Justice - Orlanth Adventurous, or Humakt? (this one is hard). I'm very rusty on my Tarot, but I'm sure that correspondences can be found in Glorantha for all the major and minor arcana. The list above is very God Learnerish, and I'm sure an all-Lunar deck can be done, as well as cultural/pantheon specific decks, with major and minor deities taking up positions in the major arcana, and heroes and saints (for Malkioni) taking up positions for the lesser arcana. I'm sure a Malkioni Tarot equivalent would be the most like our own Tarot.

The only problem is that the minor arcana is based upon terran 4-element symbolism, while Gloranthan Mythology has 5 (Light/Fire, Air, Earth, Water and Darkness, 6 counting moon.) I would suspect that a Tarot-style divination deck used in and around Dragon Pass (most likely from Esrolia) would perhaps avoid Fire. Any ideas? Or would their be 5 and 6 suit deck?
>------------------------------
>
>Date: Fri, 6 Nov 1998 08:07:24 GMT
>From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_cs.ucc.ie>
>Subject: Analogue alert...
>
>This has probably been done to death many times before, but, here goes...
>
>Who are the Gnostics of Glorantha?
>
>Slan,
>Alex.

I would think the Perfecti of Loskalm, if you want the closest analog of Judeo-Christian thought. Most other transcendental systems in Glorantha don't closely resemble western gnostic thinking, instead being closer to Buddhist and Hindu belief, as well as other parallels.

Chris Bell
argrath_at_xsite.net