Elmals daughters

From: MHa5265076_at_aol.com
Date: Mon, 9 Nov 1998 07:05:23 EST

just a quick tale of Elmal......
Elmal=92s Daughters

During the darkness, Orlanth took the warriors to fight the forces of chaos. He instructed Elmal to stay behind and commanded him to guard the stead and the lands of the Tula. Orlanth gave the shield Arran to Elmal and then he turned to embrace Ernalda. As he left, Orlanth told her to watch Elmal and ensure he guarded well, for although Vinga could fight, not all the Goddesses could defend themselves. Elmal would be the only defence against any foes.

Ernalda set Elmal to guard the stead, while she and her sisters set about their chores. Elmal took his spear, named Sharp Point and Arran the Shield and stood guard at the doorway to the Stead. After some time he became cold and stepped inside. Here, Mahome tended the hearth fire and Elmal warmed himself. As he did so he noticed the beauty of Mahome for the first time, and she noticed how handsome he looked in the fine mail shirt and yellow britches. Mahome gave him griddle cakes and warm mead, and Elmal lay with her.

When Ernalda returned from her tasks she could see that the doorway was unguarded, Elmal was no where to be seen. Ernalda was worried, for she feared the Predark demons had devoured Elmal. She approached the stead and looked inside, here she found Elmal and Mahome her daughter, each with a ruddy breathless look about their faces.

=93Why are you so red faced and breathless Elmal?=94
Asked Ernalda.

=93I have been fighting valiantly to protect the stead=94
gasped Elmal. He rubbed the crumbs of the griddle cakes from his mouth and the wiped the drops of mead from his chin.

=93Is this true Mahome?=94

=93Yes, he is strong and brave, in fact he=92s the strongest
 and bravest man in the whole Tula=94. Mahome told the truth, because since Orlanth had taken the warriors away Elmal was the only true man in the whole Tula.

=93You are redder than normal too Mahome!=94 Questioned
 the doubting Ernalda.

=93I stoked the fire hotter than normal to scare the demons
and to aid brave Elmal=94 . Mahome looked guilty and hid her face. =93That is why I am ruddier than normal=94.

=93Is this true Elmal?=94

=93Yes Mahome fought well and I defeated the attackers
of the stead=94 boasted Elmal.

=93Good=94 said Ernalda. =93In that case you will guard the
stable as well=94.

Elmal left the stead and went to defend the stable. Here he stood guard, yet as before his guard did not last, for he grew tired. So Elmal went inside to rest his weary limbs. Inside he saw fine Beseta, her gleaming body shone like the very sun itself, her long legs stretched out were oh so graceful and her beautiful golden hair cascaded from her head and down her shoulders. Beseta nuzzled Elmal and he lay with her.

When Ernalda returned from her tasks she could see that the stable was unguarded, Elmal was no where to be seen. Ernalda was worried, for she feared the Predark demons had devoured Elmal. She approached the stable and looked inside, here she found Elmal and Beseta, each sweating.

=93Why are you sweating Elmal?=94 Asked Ernalda.

=93I have been fighting valiantly to protect the stable=94
gasped Elmal. He swept the straw off his body.
=93I fought so hard that the blood of our foes turned
my britches red and so I am putting on a new pair=94 said Elmal as he replaced the yellow britches.

=93Is this true Beseta?=94 Ernalda asked her, but, Beseta
 said nothing and instead pawed the ground and tossed her head.

=93Good=94 said Ernalda. =93In that case you will guard the
 Tula lands as well=94.

Elmal left the stable and went to guard the lands of Orlanth=92s Tula. He patrolled well, for this time he was worried that Ernalda might notice if he did not do as instructed. Elmal went to the very edge of the Tula, right where the dark was the worse to check for foes. Here he saw Tara, washing her hair in a stream. As Elmal watched, Tara stood naked and dived in to the water. Elmal was aroused, he quickly removed the fine mail shirt and yellow britches, and dived into the waters. Tara was not shocked, or surprised, for she knew that Elmal had been watching her. The pair frolicked and splashed in the water, then they lay together on the bank.

When Ernalda approached she could see Elmal, wet, lying on the bank. Ernalda was worried, for she feared the Predark demons had killed Elmal. Then she noticed him breathing so she stood over his sleeping body.

=93Why are you asleep Elmal?=94 Asked Ernalda.

=93I was not asleep, I was exhausted from fighting the foes that
crept out of the Darkness to assault the Tula of your Husband!=94  asserted Elmal.

=93Then why are you wet?=94 quizzed Ernalda.

=93I had to fight, many times, once after I had fought I bent
 down to wash my face and another foe attacked me from behind and tried to drown me, but, I killed him too!=94 Lied Elmal.

=93Good=94 Said Ernalda. =93You truly are the very best man in
the whole Tula. When my husband returns I will tell him of all your brave defence and how you protected me and the other Goddesses from harm=94 , praised Ernalda.

On the glorious return, As the gates of dawn were opened to allow Time and Future to be released, many children were born, like Voria the goddess of spring. Among the  many children born as this time were these three. All three looked a lot like Elmal.

In the stead, Mahome gave birth to a beautiful daughter and called her Tethin (Radiant flame of gold), Defender of the stead. She is The Daughter of Fire and symbolised  by the red-breasted swan. In the stable, Beseta gave birth  to a fine daugther and named her Tamara (Bright Horse). She is The Pony Girl and symbolised by a golden maned  pony. At the edge of the Tula Ernalda found a girl-child  and she called her Dalila (Maiden of Rocks and waters). She is The Golden Huntress. Dailia is the one who  washes her golden hair in the streams and can lure Odaylans to their death with her voice. If they approach her with caution she can give then luck in hunting, just like her mother.

End of The Glorantha Digest V6 #312