Postal systems

From: Simon Hibbs <simonh_at_msi-uk.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 1998 15:03:05 +0000

Adam Betteridge :

>I was wondering, how does mail travel in Glorantha, I imagine that
the
>Lunars have some form of postal service as part of the Bureaucracy the
>sending of reports back & forth would require some sought organisation
>maintain a service of this kind.

I can't imagine there being an organised, independent courier or postal service. Each organisation, such as the regional governors, military units, temples, etc will likely have it's own couriers. An Imperial Officer might use his personal manservant to take messages back and forth for him depending on the distance to be covered. A regimental commander would have several such men available.

> Ralios probably has half a dozen Courier companies in each of the
>various states all competing with each other (something like gang
warfare).

Would you trust money or confidential documents to these people? I know I wouldn't. What redress do you have against them? How do you prove it? Again I imagine each potentate or merchant prince will employ his own trusted retainers to carry messages for him.

>Something like this could make for an interesting game, ambushing
couriers
>from one company & protecting your own companies interests.

This could easily turn into a pseudo-medieval anachronistic pastiche of purtely modern concepts. The fact that Gloranthan societies actualy feel and work like their historical models is what attracted me to it in the first place.

>I imagine with Orlanthi society, mail would travel fast when needed by

>magical means

Characters in my games have used elementals, allied spirits bound in animals, and familiars to carry messages.

>Praxians have smoke signals, though I imagine each tribe would have a
>different code of signals. Also the various tribal Shamans would have
some
>way of using spirits to carry messages to each other.

Or by travelling in person via the spirit plane.

>Not sure about Pamaltela or the inhuman societies although I imagine
the
>dwarves have some system to make sure that all is going to schedule.

Eric posted some great stuff about courier nilmergs on monocycles racing through tunnels at breakneck speed. I'm sure sylphmatic tube delivery systems are also available in some cities. They may even have Inter-City Ballistic Message systems for rapidly delivering small packages between the major cities.

Simon