ex-Dragonclaw miniatures

From: richardc_at_sypte.co.uk
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 1998 14:12:07 +0000

It seems from what Alex wrote that I didn't post my notes on the=20= ex-Dragonclaw
stuff now available from Tabletop Miniatures: That being the case here is the document I was able to find in the depths of my hard disk:

Formatting problems being what they are I have replaced all the full-stops with colons:

This is a reconstruction of a lost document I prepared to give the designers some feedback: Bear in mind that my interest in these miniatures stemmed mainly from their usefulness in wargames so some of the comments should be taken in this light:

Firstly the figures I have actually bought (not sure about the actual names):

Duck Officer
Obviously a humakti, this guy carries a _long_, straight sword: His classical helmet has a huge, upright plume: Not too far out of scale with the old Citadel miniatures Duck but much more heavily armed: Pose is noticeably flat:

Duck Standard bearer
Similarly dressed to his officer in cloak and Roman-style helmet and muscle cuirasse (they look suspiciously uniform these guys - maybe they've recently looted a number of Lunar bodies): The standard is a spiked pole with a crosspiece from which hangs a banner I would put at about 3 (scale) feet square:

Duck standing
Again dressed in pseudo-Roman style: He is standing to attention leaning on a gladius-like shortsword with a leaf shaped blade: I am going to base up all the above ducks as a humakti standard guard for my Sartarite army:

Duck advancing
Similar dress again but this guy is carrying a round shield and a scimitar: Another flat pose: I think it's derived from the same basic doll as the officer: I've successfully removed the scimitar from one of them and intend to replace it with a sling:

Clay Mostali with repeating crossbow
I've asked on the Digest about this and the general consensus is that Clay Mostali are normal dwarf-sized: This guy is human-sized and beardless: He wears three-quarter plate armour of vaguely 16th century style and carries a crossbow with an improbably unwieldy-looking magazine: I suspect this may pass as one of the inventions of Leonardo the scientist:

Sable Rider, Sable Officer
These are obviously very civilised Lunar mercenaries: The helmets are very Roman in style with bits of cresent moon decoration and roundels which are obviously meant to be painted as moon runes: The officer brandishes a scimitar and is shouting a warcry: The soldier has a lance on one seperately cast arm and a crescent-shaped peltast shield on the other: They are both very nice figures: The only problem is they are huge! They completely dwarf even the largest 25mm figures in my collection:

Next come my impressions of figures I have seen but didn't buy :

Sun Domers
These include a spearman, I think an officer, and an archer: All of them are classical Greek hoplite armour, which is fine, but all also have helmets=20=

shaped like hawk's heads - probably OK for one or two figures but not for all of them I would have thought: The spears are cast on and so are rather short: I would have preferred them cast open-handed so I could add wire pikes:

Troll Merchant

A very nice rendition of the guy in the shades who appeared in the RQ2
(and RQ3?) Trollpak:

Trollkin
All a bit skinny but otherwise fine: Includes a three-armed one who should have been eaten at birth:

 Dragonewts
Nicely worked figures with klanth, gami etc:

Praxians (Zebra Riders, Rhino riders etc:) The Praxians all struck me as a _leetle_ bit too civilised-looking for my=20= tastes
(the rhino rider has a metal chain round his beast's horn and a=20=
medieval-looking
lance with conical hand-guard) but otherwise lovely: I especially liked the=20=

Zebras which were a lot closer to true 25mm scale than the Sables I'd=20= already
ordered: They are tall-hatted types obviously based on the illo in the=20= Glorantha
boxed set:

Richard Crawley
richardc_at_sypte=2Eco=2Euk