Yelmalian quests

From: Jane Williams <jane_at_williams.nildram.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 1998 19:08:19 -0000

Alan Keith Dugger asked for Yelmalian rituals for his very pious PC. This is a little slow, but perhaps better late than never.

I've taken a quick look through Sun County, and been surprised at just how little Yelmalian myth there is in there. We have a framework, but little detail. Going through:

  1. Yelmalio led his people from the warm lowlands (to the mountains). So head towards some mountains, and hit things. Probably Storm cultists. Or trolls. Or dwarves.
  2. Yelmalio met and fought many beings for the cause of his father in the Gods War. Invent myths as you see fit here, but this will be mainly anti-Storm rather than anti-Chaos.
  3. Hill of Gold. You can always do a single stage of this rather than the full thing.
  4. During the Darkness... alliances with Elves, and Chaos-bashing.

Then we need to look at Yelmalian Heroes and Yemalian Divine Magic, and see if we can get any myths/HQs from them. There must be a HQ to get each divine spell, and we can deduce the myth from that. Then run through it purely to emulate Yelmalio rather than to get the spell.

Heroes:
1) Monrogh. How on earth you turn emulating him into a HQ I have no idea. Go on a trip to Teshnos to learn wisdom? 2) Kuschile. Practise riding and archery, I suppose. 3) Togtuvei. Map use and geography: and he sounds Praxian to me, though I may well be wrong. Why the yellow feather, I wonder? Did he perhaps learn from some bird that flies high overhead and gives a literal bird's eye view of the terrain?

Divine magic:
1) Catseye. Sounds like a link to Yinkin to me, from Yelmalio's Orlanthi past. Perhaps you have to beat up an alynx and learn its secrets?
2) Sunbright. And that isn't from Yelm, either. Something to do with Yelmalio's status as Last Light in the Darkness? Or the Sky Dome, which has always sounded like a present from Dayzatar to me. 3) Shield. Why is this "special" divine magic, I wonder? Perhaps because Yelmalio is good at surviving (though not winning) fights?

The associated cults might tell us something? 1) Aldrya. Go and befriend an elf
2) Ernalda. He's a Husband-Protector. So marry and/or protect an Ernaldan.
3) Vrimak. "In the Godtime, his child Hawk Mother was friendly to Yelmalio." So why is it he rather than Hawk Mother who grants the spell? Sounds like this is back in the Godlen Age when Yelmalio was still in the Sky Palace. Something involving protecting a young bird and being rewarded by the parent?
4) Yelm. Dad. I wonder if Yelmalio has a "prove I'm the son of Yelm" quest?
5) Yelorna. Take a look at the Yelorna side of the story: I believe they fought together, didn't they? Drastic: Prax has the latest write-up.

Sorry this isn't very detailed or deep, but I hope it's given you some ideas to start from.

Jane Williams jane_at_williams.nildram.co.uk http://homepages.nildram.co.uk/~janewill/gloranth/

End of The Glorantha Digest V6 #322