Re: hsunchen civilizations; climate

From: David Dunham <dunham_at_pensee.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 1998 00:15:54 -0800

Trotsky claims:

> You're going to have to remind me what these hints are. AFAIK, most
> hsunchen religions have heavy proscriptions against tilling the soil. While
> there *may* be exceptions (though none spring to mind) and simple
>spreading of
> wild seeds on untilled soil is practiced by some hsunchen peoples, in
>general,
> there is no agriculture amongst true hsunchen. Without agriculture,
> civilisation simply cannot work because population densities cannot become
> high enough

It depends on precisely what you mean by "civilization," but on the western shore of North America lived several very dense populations of hunter-gatherers. California had the Chumash, who relied on acorns and fishing, while the Pacific Northwest supported several tribes with dense populations, primarily with salmon and halibut. I know the Northwest had chiefdoms, and I think California did as well.

But the easiest way hsunchen could have civilization is to be civilized -- to not be hunter-gatherers. I don't think the Basmoli of the Grey Age who dominated parts of Seshnela and Ralios were much like the defeated Basmoli of today. It's quite likely they at one time practiced sorcery, and only devolved into "cave men" after suffering numerous defeats. Nothing prevents the Kingdom of the Basmoli [Genertela Book p.79] from being civilized, or at least chiefdom-level, people who worshipped their lion ancestors.

As I recall, there are hints of a Telmori civilization in Dorastor: Land of Doom. Again, I suspect the rulers of this would not much resemble the Telmori of today (who are also a defeated people). Probably Barbarian, in RQ3 terms, rather than Primitive. If people still lived in "packs" the packs would have hierarchies.

Most hsunchen have gone the other way, ending up civilized (at least in Ralios).

Frederic Ferro wondered

> Where can I find datas on the climate of Central Genertela?

The Bestiary has good if short summaries pages 2-3.