Yelmalio rituals and quests

From: Alan Keith Dugger <akd2x_at_virginia.edu>
Date: Sat, 21 Nov 1998 09:28:35 -0500

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions. Here's a more developed idea and some questions.

Jane Williams wrote:

>4) During the Darkness... alliances with Elves, and Chaos-bashing.

The Healing of Yelmalio

This quest re-enacts High King Elf's rescue of Yelmalio at the Hill of Gold. In this quest, plant aids and befriends light. Light aids plant in the defense of the forests. One or two questors may undertake the quest. One questor plays the part of High King Elf and the other takes the part of Yelmalio. Aldrymi undertake this quest to gain an ally against darkness and chaos foes which threaten their forests. Yelmalians undertake the quest to heal a grevious wound or to reaffirm the alliance between Yelmalio and High King Elf.

After thinking about it, this quest seemed more appealing to a member of the High King Elf subcult than a Yelmalian. Although a Yelmalian might invoke the quest to find a place of refuge, gain allies, get healed, etc.

Outline.

The quest begins at sunset and ends at sunrise.

  1. High King Elf rescues Yelmalio from the Hill of Gold.

Possible enemies: local chaotic nasties, a chaos horde from myth

2. High King Elf takes Yelmalio to the forests and Arroin heals Yelmalio.

3. High King Elf and Yelmalio fight a darkness foe of the forest.

Possible enemies: Gore and Gash, avatar of Zorak Zoran, current darkness foe of the forest.

4. High King Elf and Yelmalio fight a chaos foe of the forest

Possible enemies: current chaos foe of the forest, avatar of Thed (Just because according to the old cult compatiblity charts Aldrya and Thed are hostile.) and ?

5. Yelmalio pledges his friendship and brings his cult to the forest.

Who would make a good mythic choas foe of High King Elf?

Does anyone have suggestions to fill this out?

Here are some more or less undeveloped ideas:

  1. The Taming of Vrimack

Peter Metcalfe wrote:

>Yelmalio is more troublesome. There is no special relationship

>AFAIK between him and the bird gods. Any ability that a Yelmalian

>has would be a general sky power rather than a special myth of

>Yelmalio.

I couldn't find much on this. Only the Sun County write up of the cult of Yelmalio mentions the connection. _Wyrm's Footprints_ mentions the a hawk connection under Yelm the Teacher. (King Skilfil in _Griffin Mountain_ is supposed to have completed a heroquest taming Vrimack and bringing back giant hawks.)

Otherwise, there's not much I can find to flush this out. It would seem that the Taming of Vrimack would be a like the River Ritual in _Sun County_ in that the Yelmalian re-enacts the deeds of Yelm. (IIRC, the River Ritual enacts the marriage between Yelm and the Oslir river.)

On a related note, Jane Williams suggested a 'prove he's Yelm's son' quest. Besides enacting the deeds of Monrogh, would enacting the deeds of Yelm fit? (As I just mentioned, it seems that some Yelmalio rituals are imitations or enactments of Yelm's deeds.)

2. The Healing of Yamsur's Steed

Does anyone know how Yelmalio got his tie to the horse? I have some vague memory of Yelmalio gaining from Yamsur after hippogriff had her painful experience. (Sun County probably lost this ritual when they stopped raising horses during their isolation.)

That's probably enough for now. Thanks again for all the help.

Alan

End of The Glorantha Digest V6 #325