Orlanthi Lore

From: Richard, Jeff <Jeff.Richard_at_metrokc.gov>
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 1998 10:48:19 -0800

Hi there folk -

As it has been mentioned on the Glorantha Home Page, it appears I have been designated as an Orlanthi Expert by the greater powers. I am in the process of putting together a very definitive codex of Orlanthi Mythology and History at the request of Issaries. So gals and guys - here's your opportunity to raise all those Orlanthi questions and issues you've always wanted answered or explored.

So go ahead - post your questions to the digest and, assisted by my able team of deputized experts, I will attempt to answer it. Consider it like an Orlanthi lore auction.

>From time to time, I hope to post new Orlanthi myths that most of y'all
haven't seen. Here is an Orlanthi myth regarding Ernalda and her sisters:

At the beginning of things that are remembered, the Emperor extended his rulership among the deities of the Earth Tribe. The ruler of that tribe was the goddess named Asrelia. When the Emperor ruled, she retired.

Asrelia was the first goddess who had ever lived outside of the Great Mountain. She had many children, but only three are of interest right now. They were triplet sisters, whose birth brought new music into the world.

When Asrelia retired, she divided her earthly goods among these three. The Great she gave to Marangor, the Most she gave to Esrola, and the Least she gave to Ernalda.
Marangor therefore is goddess of earth's greatest manifestations, which are earthquakes, volcanos, landslides, autumn, diseases, and implements designed to bring death.
Esrola (also called by many other local names) is the goddess of the earth's great bounty, manifest as food, children, sexual desire, and blood.

Ernalda therefore is goddess of the spiritual earth, whose power is not found in solid things, but in actions, rules, ceremonies, music and familial care.

As part of the Emperor's Rule, Ernalda went from her mother's house to the Emperor's to serve as a handmaiden to the Empress. Every tribe sent people to the great palace to help. Thus it was at the Emperor's court that Orlanth first met Ernalda.
- ----

>From this myth it is clear that Ernalda is the spiritual earth - not the
goddess of fertillity, harvests, childbirth, etc. Instead Ernalda shows women the ceremonies and teaches them the secrets by which the magic of fertillity, harvests, childbirth, etc. can be accessed.

Any questions?

Jeff Richard

End of The Glorantha Digest V6 #328