Re: Black Moon Question

From: Simon Hibbs <simonh_at_msi-uk.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 1998 10:45:13 +0000

Nick Brooke :

>It's a son of hers, born from her body after her ascent. Box on p.66 of

>Tales #16.

I looked this up over the weekend. Destix doesn't seem to have had a father (unlike the Emperor for example), so is in fact a portion of the goddess. It's interesting that destix is the only part of the 'composite entity' of the moon which is characterised as being male. The Black Moon is a 'he'!

>> Unfortunately this is also a bad thing because it is weakening the
goddess'
>> ability to resist her own dark nature, manifest in destyx.

>I don't like putting this "spin" on it, much. Carrying around divine
things
>in the mundane world is always rather tricky. Did Yelmalio have a
perpetual
>nosebleed, just so all the Yelmalions can have Fire Crystals? Would the

>Lunars strip-mine the surface of their beloved Goddess? A lump of Moon
Rock
>is a precious thing, not a mere trifle.

It just seems to make a lot of sense to me. The moon glows (light side) and destyx
shadows (dark side), which seems all very Nysalor/Gbaji to me. Take away moon rock and you're weakening the light side of the goddess, so strip mining would be a major no-no as it incrementaly increases the influence of Destix on the goddess. The lunars aren't afraid of madness and such, but it must remain ballanced.

I'm not quite sure which 'spin' you dislike.

>I disagree with your propositions that (1) the Red Goddess either is
sane or
>desires to become sane,....

That's fair.

> .........and/or (2) the Red Goddess has
to "resist the
>temptations of the dark side". Insanity is one of the fundamental
powers of
>the Moon Rune and the Lunar Way. The Lunars do *not* think of it as a
Bad
>Thing. And the Lunars, like the Carmanians before them, know that we
must
>move between the Light and Darkness, the Full Moon and the Black.

Ok, I got ahead of myself a bit. My reach extending somewhat beyond my grasp.

I'm pretty comfortable identifying Destix as being the Black Moon. As such I think he is the source of (or at least an influence on) much of the 'nastyness' available to lunar magicians. As you say, they don't see it as being nasty, but merely necessery.

Direct worship of the Black Moon is an interesting question. Is there a secret cult of the Black Moon? Is it related to the Blood Sun cult? What do the Danfive Xaroni know about it? Secret covens of conspirators chanting 'All Hail the Black Moon' are surely too cool to miss out on.

Are there such things as Black Moon elementals? Probably not, but it's a nasty thought, and enough to give your players nightmares merely by hinting at it.

Simon Hibbs