Re: Clinton Cannot be a Duck; hsunchen; Ernalda

From: David Dunham <dunham_at_pensee.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 1998 16:37:20 -0800

Bryan Maloney claims

> Clinton cannot be a Duck. Not once has he painted a cross on his face,
> screamed "No Quarter!" and slain an entire Zorak Zoran war party in a
> berserk rage or gone down trying.
>
> Obviously, from his effete decadence and his willingness to slime behind
> any possible loophole and legalism, your Clinton must be a Lunar, or
> possibly one of those hypocritical "Sun Domers" down south.

Well, duh. He's a lawspeaker.

(And we know ducks must have them, because in Korol's Saga, the ducks were mighty impressed with the numerous weighty legal precedents which Heorl cited.)

Thomas Gottschall

> I always thought that Hsunchen meant worship bestial dieties and having a
>tight
> bond to your animal brothers. I didn't think that it has something to do with
> being primitive and hunter gatherers. That would mean that the pre Dawn
>Telmori
> were Telmori but probably not Hsunchen, right ? And that they had some higher
> level of organization than average Hsunchen. I am somehow disturbed as
>how the
> hints in Dorastor (Wolf Fort, City of Wolves) were read by you. Is there no
> chance that the Telmori had something like a kingdom, even if not
>civilized at
> all ?

I consider hsunchen to be the entire package of economic lifestyle and religion.

I think Pre-Dawn Telmori may well have lived in a kingdom. Jose Ramos has one suggestion for this. Peter Metcalfe referred to the Mayans as an example of a shaman-based kingdom (though I believe they also had priests).

Anyone who lives in a kingdom is not a hunter-gatherer (with a few exceptions for very rich areas, which aren't likely to exist Pre-Dawn unless you go Pre-Darkness). And they very seldom practice shamanistic magic. All we know about Telmori is their modern lifestyle. And all I'm saying is that they didn't practice this lifestyle if they had a kingdom. You'll have to make up something different.

Jeff Richard posted an Ernalda myth. (One of Greg's?)

> From this myth it is clear that Ernalda is the spiritual earth - not the
> goddess of fertillity, harvests, childbirth, etc.

We discussed it already, but you might want to post how this is compatible with the God Learner designation of Ernalda as (for example) the mother of Aldrya. We know the God Learners weren't correct about everything, but there's little doubt that their magic worked, so they couldn't have been totally wrong.