whales & molluscs

From: Pam Carlson <carlsonp_at_wolfenet.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 1998 14:01:42 -0800

I have used whales quite a bit in sae adventures in non-Gloranthan RPG's. They make sense in Glorantha, too, either helping drowning people or working with the various mer-peoples.

I was skimming the lated Drastic last night, and came across the Mother of Molluscs article. (I hope I am spelling mollusc right.) Anyway, I was dissapointed to see only snails and slugs mentioned. What about the pinnacles on the invertebrate world - the octopi and the squids? Both are darn intelligent for inverts, and octopi can see and manipulate items quite well. WWII sailors in lifeboats reported that at night giant squid would sometimes grab swimmers in the water or pluck them from small boats. Modern divers have been devoured by large groups of smaller squid. Squid change color to communicate, and do all kinds unknown stuff. They certainly provide lots of rich material for Gloranthan sea monsters.

Ash - nice discussion on whale throat size & mouth capacity. Spot on.

Pam