Orlanthi omnibus questions

From: Richard, Jeff <Jeff.Richard_at_metrokc.gov>
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 1998 12:31:29 -0800

Hi there -

Adam writes an Orlanthi omnibus question:

>I have noticed how much of the lore concerns Orlanth interacting with other
>Storm gods, apart from the occasional tale Vinga & Elmal or Vinga & Eurmal
>spring to mind, there isn't much about interaction between the other gods.

Many of the Orlanthi gods are specialized figures without a "complete" set of mythic relationships. For instance, it is doubtful that there are any myths of Heler and Urox outside of the presence of Orlanth in the story. In many cases, it is Orlanth or Ernalda who establish how other gods will interact. A standard example is Vadrus and Yinkin. Vadrus wants to kill and skin Yinkin. Orlanth comes to Yinkin's protection. Thus the relationship between those gods is Vadrus would destroy Yinkin, but for Orlanth (actually you could replace Yinkin with almost any god and you have that god's relationship with Vadrus).

For most gods, the creation of the Storm Tribe by Orlanth and Ernalda sets the tone for mythic interaction. All the gods worshipped by the Orlanthi belong to that tribe and thus have a basic method of interacting set by Orlanth's clan-founding myths or by Ernalda's community myths. Many other gods have tales depicting rivalries or associations. For instance, Lhankhor Mhy and Issaries are both associated with each other as Lightbringers, yet other tales depict a rivalry between them. Elmal and Heler have a known rivalry, yet both are loyal spear-thanes of Orlanth.

>How does Issaries get along with Yinkin? Why can Chalana Arroy healers
>stop a berserk Uroxi? If Babeester Gor is the defender of the earth tribe
>how does she get along with the male gods of the storm tribe?

I am unaware of any myths involving just Yinkin and Issaries, but given that Issaries generally gets along with nearly anyone (he is the Speaking God) and Yinkin is Orlanth's half-brother and boon companion, I suspect they get along just fine. Or more likely, they just ignore each other.

Chalana Arroy has a number of special myths pertaining to the times that she healed other gods. Chalana Arroy can "heal" Urox of his beserk rage as a result of her peace-inducing magic. This is probably expressed through a number of myths.

The only myths that I know of that involve Babs Gor interacting with any gods other than her mother Ernalda or the gods that Babs Gor destroyed, refers to Babs as the Axe of Orlanth.

>How has the role that Orlanth plays changed in the heartlands of Orlanthi
>culture since they have been embraced in the bosom of the Red goddess?

What do you mean by heartlands of Orlanthi culture? Do you mean Tarsh and Holay (traditionally the core of Orlanthi culture)?

Jeff