Re: Loons; magic

From: David Dunham <dunham_at_pensee.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 1998 17:42:51 -0800

Adam Betteridge wondered

> Can Someone tell me more about the animal societies of Ralios, I seem to
> remember something about Loons, what other societies are there? Sheep,
> Wolves, Bears, Hares & what sort of purpose do they have? Is it like the
> First Fleeter/ Mayflower descendents or is there something more sinister.

There's only one described, and they're not Loon hsunchen, they merely invoke Loon in their ceremonies. They're probably sort of New Age types, pretending they're ancestral hsunchen. Although it's quite possible from the writeup in Genertela that they have some success with this.

There are in fact Telmori in Ralios, but they are genuine hsunchen.

> Why can Chalana Arroy healers stop a berserk Uroxi?

Chalana-Who-Calms is her title in one story in King of Sartar. I think this is a Healer ability, not a mythic connection with Urox.

David Boleyn

> I have a question about the visibility of both sorcery and spirit magic.
> * To what degree are spells visible and does it depend on the spell -

As needed for dramatic purposes.

> * Is the visibility of sorcerous spells different to spirit magic?

In my games, sorcery spells usually have more of an audio component -- when a sword with Damage Boosting hits, there might be a loud CRACK, while if the sword had Bladesharp it might flare. Before hand, the sorcerously-enhanced blade might hum slightly, while the spirit magic-ed sword would have a slight glow.

Divine magic has more atmospheric effects: a swirl of wind, a sudden chill. Or else it's like spirit magic (since divine magicians also use spirit magic).

> * Would say a detect spell be less 'visible' that a disrupt or palsy?

I don't think all spells are equally visible. Detect isn't (although depending on circumstances, a sorcerous detection might PING when it registered something), and defensive spells aren't usually noticeable until they activate.

> * Are permanenced spells 'visible'?

As per the normal version.