Re: Black Moon Question

From: Simon Hibbs <simonh_at_msi-uk.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Nov 1998 12:14:09 +0000

Benedict Adamson :

>How accurate is the equation Black Moon = Gerra = suffering = Danfive
Xaron?
>The celebrants in the coven might be Cenobites, in which case, you
certainly
>wouldn't want to be there!

That depends on who you are, and your idea of fun. Remember, the red goddess embraces many alternative lifestyle choices.

>A related question: does anyone worship Gerra? Is the account of Gerra
worship
>in Entokosiad (sp?) historical, or Travel and Journey?

I believe there are temples to Gerra in Carmania, they are mentioned (complete with zigurats, blood rituals and self mutilation) in the section of Gerra in the Lunar religion essay in the Rough Guide to Glamour.

There was, and maybe still is, a fascinating exhibition of mesoamerican religious art and artefacts on at the British Museum which is very appropriate. I was particularly impressed by the material on blood letting rituals. This involved genital piercing and bleeding, and passing strings of thorns through your tongue and collecting the blood, from which an ancestral spirit would issue like smoke.

Kali worship, in her aspect as the black mother, might also be a usefull source of ideas here. Apparently Rashorana is associated with the colour black.

Simon Hibbs