Re: Loons and Issaries in Ralios; concrete canoes; Babeester Gor

From: David Dunham <dunham_at_pensee.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Nov 1998 22:52:58 -0800

Trotsky wrote

> The members of the Societies are said to be called 'Loons' because
> Grandfather Loon is one of the principal figures they venerate. Thus, there
> were once Loon Hsunchen in Ralios

That's not how I interpret it... According to Gods of Glorantha (Prosopaedia), Loon is one of the First Four Companions (Turtle, Loon, Otter, and Sea Eagle). They assisted Earthmaker in the creation of the world. And "they usually call upon Grandfather Loon during their opening rites" which I don't interpret as special veneration. Nor does it follow that Ralios had loon hsunchen -- I doubt they had sea eagles either.

The best source (if you don't mind going semi-official) for the hsunchen of First Age Ralios is the Broken Council Guidebook (especially the second edition) -- see <http://www.pensee.com/dunham/ralios/firstAge.html> for an excerpt (from first edition, I fear). Sheep and hares are not among those listed.

The Ancient Beasts Society calls on Loon at the start of their ceremonies because they know he's important at the start of the world. But it's outsiders who call them Loons (as in "Crazy as a"). I don't think anyone views them as sinister because they're both silly and ineffective. I think they want to be hsunchen without knowing anything about how it really works. Analogous to New Age Pagans.

Of course, this is a secret society, so I expect each GM will develop it somewhat differently. Perhaps someone's subverted the society, precisely because nobody would expect any harm from these totemic posers.

Simon Hibbs

> Surely Argan Argar
> was the trade cult of the dark empire, not Issaries? Issaries worship
> was promulgated by the middle sea empire in competition with the dark
> empire of Ralios, including Safelster. I don't see it as an indigenous
> Ralian cult at all.

I agree with all this, but the various Jrusteli empires did a pretty thorough number on the Dark Empire -- and likely spread the Issaries cult as a useful tool (if nothing else, to help communicate with the natives).

I wouldn't be surprised if Issaries is widespread in Vesmonstran, and I see henotheistic (or Stygian -- the adjectives are virtually synonymous) worship of Issaries as little different from pagan worship. Sure, St Issaries is sworn to Malkion and Issaries is sworn to Orlanth, but the trading and diplomatic aspects could easily be identical.

In my game, Issaries has no trade aspect in the East Wilds, because trade isn't as important, and because most trade is via the Doskior River.

Erik Sieurin

> Concreteclads

I believe the Dwarf Floating Castle is made of concrete (not just clad). My college's Civil Engineering department participated in an annual Concrete Canoe Race; these were made of concrete (with metal, like the mostali ship). Steel isn't particularly buoyant, but modern ships float just fine.

Jeff Richard

> The only myths that I know of that involve Babs Gor interacting with any
> gods other than her mother Ernalda or the gods that Babs Gor destroyed,
> refers to Babs as the Axe of Orlanth.

The aforementioned Prosopaedia summarizes the myth of Babeester Gor killing healers until Eurmal turns their blood to beer... This is the only myth with a male god I can recall.

Given that, like Orlanth, she is against kin-slaying and oath-breaking, it's quite plausible that she aids him in Orlanth's myths.

As for East Isles navigation, surely the Polynesians are an excellent model, they travelled (and colonized) over great distances without compasses. Actually, they might easily be too good for the East Isles, which are rather closer to each other than the Pacific islands.