Re: henotheism; Orlanth under the Lunars; Tricksters

From: David Dunham <dunham_at_pensee.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Nov 1998 14:02:17 -0800

Trotsky stated

> If the Henotheists *do* directly worship Issaries, or any other
>gods for
> that matter, alongside the Invisible God (and I'm not necessarily saying they
> don't) then they aren't in fact henotheists, which would be a tad
>confusing...

henotheism: belief in or worship of one god without denying the existence of others

Granted, this doesn't say anything about how you treat the others, but it seems to me that the Henotheist Church of Ralios, which believes that "other deities are important and deserve worship" is indeed henotheistic, as long as they place the Invisible God clearly at the top.

Or is this confusion why Chaosium uses the term "stygian" to refer to such religions?

Richard Ohlson wondered

> In practical, gameplay terms, how does the fall of Sartar affect Orlanthi
>worship all over
> Glorantha? The Lunar Empire claims a great victory and the defeat of
>Orlanth, but how
> difficult is it to find a Storm Voice for the HHD, how does it affect the
>availability of
> spells offered by the cult, and how does it affect the actual results of
>Orlanthi spells?

In some ways, not very much. The Lunars probably did destroy some of the temples, but all you really need to worship Orlanth is a windy hilltop...

The Lunars must have killed many of the Storm Voices when they invaded, and I think this may be one reason many of the new Storm Voices are rather weedy (I'm referring to the draft of Hero Wars, in which the Storm Voice keyword doesn't carry with it all the abilities you need in the River of Cradles writeup of Orlanth, or indeed would need to be able to command respect and give advice to your community). But you don't have to first command respect to be a god-talker of Orlanth, and thus new ones sprang up. They are fully qualified in the sense that they represent Orlanth and can summon his powers.

Apart from these minor changes in the cult infrastructure, the effects are very limited. There might be one or two spells that were lost when the only site of a subcult was destroyed (I sense a scenario here), and it might sometimes be harder to gather large groups for certain rituals. But Orlanth is still Orlanth, as I think events of the recent future will show.

> I also had a question about Eurmal in Orlanthi society. If a trickster
>has to "voluntarily
> become an outcast" does that mean they have to tell everybody that they
>are in fact a
> trickster? I've played in campaigns where the tricksters hid their cult
>allegience, and even
> joined other cults. Should this be allowed? Is there any reason why a
>village shouldn't just
> lynch a PC trickster? Is there any reason why PC's should even try and
>defend their
> trickster-companion?

Few people admit that they're Tricksters, precisely because villages will lynch them.

However, Orlanth exchanged oaths with Eurmal. Clan chiefs and tribal kings protect the Tricksters who've sworn oaths to them, and any player Orlanthi who has extracted an oath from a Trickster would be bound to protect him.