Henotheists, Ralian Issaries

From: Joerg Baumgartner <joe_at_toppoint.de>
Date: Fri, 27 Nov 98 23:47 MET

Comrade Trotsky:
>If the Henotheists *do* directly worship Issaries, or any other gods
>for that matter, alongside the Invisible God (and I'm not necessarily
>saying they don't) then they aren't in fact henotheists, which would
>be a tad confusing...

How would you call a religion which has the IG as supreme god, has wizards, and worships gods ln the theist mode on the side?

David Dunham agrees with Simon's take on Stygian Empire trade (just like I do), but:
> the various Jrusteli empires did a pretty thorough number
> on the Dark Empire -- and likely spread the Issaries cult as a
> useful tool (if nothing else, to help communicate with the natives).

Not that Issaries was absent before. Who do you think were the Theyalan missionaries? Issaries types. I don't know if they worked like Sartar or more like Joh Mith, but these are the kind of Lightbringers most likely to enter new territory and establish relations.

> I wouldn't be surprised if Issaries is widespread in Vesmonstran, and > I
see henotheistic (or Stygian -- the adjectives are virtually
> synonymous)

If you don't stress the Darkness aspect of Stygian, I agree, but a Stygian church of Ehilm like the one I wrote for Galin in Rise of Ralios sounds somewhat paradoxical.

> worship of Issaries as little different from pagan worship. Sure, St
> Issaries is sworn to Malkion and Issaries is sworn to Orlanth, but the
> trading and diplomatic aspects could easily be identical.

Is St. Issaries sworn to Malkion, or does he (like all other "knowable god saints") acknowledge the superiority of the Invisible God?