Re: The Glorantha Digest V6 #336

From: Roland Volz <roland_volz_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 29 Nov 1998 19:47:47 PST

Jane Williams asks:
>Any suggestions, advice, thoughts on the wording of the
>Bondsman's Oath, etc?

Here is the text of "The Oath of a Freeman," a forged document written in the style of the seventeenth century (don't know how much it will help):

"I, being (by God's providence) an Inhabitant, and Freeman, within the iurisdictio of this Commonwealth, doe freely acknowledge my selfe to bee subject to the governement thereof; and therefore doe heere sweare, by the great & dreadfull name of the Everliving God, that I will be true & faithfull to the same, & will accordingly yield assistance & support therunto, with my person & estate, as in equity I am bound: and will also truely indeavor to maintaine and preserve all the libertyes & privilidges thereof, submitting my selfe to the wholesome lawes, & ordres made & stablished by the same; and further, that I will not plot, nor practice any evill against it, nor consent to any that shall so do, butt will timely discover, & reveall the same to lawfull authoritee nowe here stablished, for the speedie preventing thereof. Moreover, I doe solemnly bind my selfe, in the sight of God, that when I shalbe called, to give my voyce touching any such matter of this state, (in which freemen are to deale) I will give my vote & suffrage as I shall judge in myne own conscience may best conduce & tend to the publick weale of the body, without respect of personnes, or favour of any man. Soe help mee God in the Lord Iesus Christ."

Of course, such a long-winded vow may be beyond the capabilities of tricksters with short attention spans, but when you have a Humakti ready to kill you it may be time to bite the bullet...

In my game, I had some extremely well-played tricksters, such that after the third one died, they instantly slew any character suspected of being a trickster (PC or NPC). Boy, *that* got them into trouble.

Hail Harshax!

Roland