dead emperors

From: David Cake <dave_at_starfish.net.au>
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 1998 15:53:27 +0800

>I really believe that Lunars and Orlanthi do this
>standard stuff. Imagine standing infront of the battalion who killed the Red
>Emperor and whose head is on a pike and below is a blue flag with the signs of
>storm and death. Would you charge if they even got the Red Emperor ?

        Working from memory, I think there was a king of the Bulgars (King Krum, I think?) whose army once slaughtered the Byzantine Emperor and accompanying army. The army bedded down in a narrow valley, and when they woke up the Bulgars had built fortifications at either end.... After than, King Krum used the silver inlaid skull of an Emperor as his special cup for when visiting leaders came to call, just to let them know what happened to people who messed with him.

        Thats all from fallible memory, but Nick or MOB might remember the details, as the story is in Norwhichs history of Byzantium (highly recommended).

        Cheers

                David