Draconic Enlightenment, Cultural Mysticism, Mythic Relationships

From: Chris Bell <nospamargrath_at_xsite.net>
Date: Tue, 01 Dec 1998 21:31:11 -0600

I was just reading the commenraries on Greg's RQCon 2 address by Peter Michaels at his website
(http://members.aol.com/pmichaels/glorantha/glorantha.html) and it got me to thinking about Illumination versus what little has been expressed about Draconic thought, both from a Dragon Pass/Dragonewt and Kralorelan perspective. When I had the good fortune to meet Greg at GenCon this year. he taught me a Gloranthan secret..."Draconic Wisdom and Illumination are the *same thing*", he said like a wondrous child. :) On my gut level, I seem to feel in me bones a difference between Draconic Teaching concerning the Void and Nysaloran/Lunar Illumination. Perhaps the Dragonewt Myths and the Nysalor teachings are different cultural approaches to the same thing? How different was Argrath from the Lunars he fought? Could this be traced back to the Utuma Dragonewt Myths and the responsibility that Dragons, in these myths, feel, which is why they entangle themselves in the world? Is this wisdom responsible for Orlanth choosing to rescue the world? What is Orlanth's Dragon Wisdom, if there is any? How does it differ from the Red Goddess' teachings? Do both cultures, with different trappings, merely teach the same things?

Is what I'm typing here making any sense? :)

This leads me to thoughts of Lightbringer Mysticism. In Greg's address, he mentions that an essential part of the Lightbringer's Quest is failure. In order to succeed at the Lightbringer's Quest, the Quester *must* fail, losing a part of themselves forever and gaining the wisdom of defeat. This seems to be an annihilation of the self, a state where the Questor must triumph over his or her ego, pride and selfishness. This brings to mind paralells with the Dara Happan Myths described in GROY, with Yelm's journey through the underworld, his trials, as well as with the Shargash mysteries of Alkoth, in regards to mystical death and rebirth. It's striking me that the Pelorian and Theyalan cultures are, in so many ways, deeply similar in regards to mysticism.

Is there an actual, fully detailed mythic account of the Lightbringer's Quest? I'd imagine that the Journey of Orlanth and his questing band to Hell and back would be an epic that would fill several volumes (or hours of rune chanting) and be perhaps the great Theyalan Epic. I'd love to see Greg do a full blown Lightbringer's Quest, in the same manner as he did GROY. Much of this info may already be contained in KoS (which I haven't read), but I'd still like to see it. :)

In regards to the various deities of the Theyalan Pantheon merely being aspects or cognates of Orlanth and Ernalda, I heartily disagree. I much prefer the thought that each deity in the Storm and Earth Pantheons has their own complete history and mythic cycle. Orlanth may be the Boss, but his companions the Lightbringers and his family the Ring have full and complete personalities and tales, and do quite well on their own, thank you very much :) I esepcially see Chalana Arroy, Lhankhor Mhy and Issaries having complete philosophies, modes of worship, and mythic systems independent of Orlanth and the Storm Tribe, although they are part of that household. This of course will vary depending on where in the Barbarian Belt you're looking, but the Lightbringers, Earth Goddesses, Storm Tribe and the like have their own stories and character.

Well, what do *you* think?

Peace,

Chris B
argrath_at_xsite.net