Sog City Heraldry.

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_voyager.co.nz>
Date: Tue, 1 Dec 1998 21:56:44 +1300 (NZDT)

David Dunham:

>I was just looking at the USC Conference Guide (an incredibly handy guide
>to the West, even if you have no interest in LARPs), and really looked at
>the shield (presumably of the university) for the first time. It's
>quartered, and has a sailing ship perched on a wave (which is labelled with
>the Magic rune), a pentagram, a law rune, and a ship (labelled with an
>Infinity rune) which is on fire, out of which is rising a phoenix (or
>possibly in which is perishing a dragon).

>This latter makes me think of the Battle of Tanian's Victory, when the
>Jrusteli ended the Waertagi monopoly of the seas. And the other ship may be
>one of the merchant ships run by the Free Men of the Sea (or other Jrusteli
>mercantilists). If so, then here are two God Learner accomplishments,
>proudly displayed.

Sog City was never part of the God Learner Empire and thus would have no reason to place God Learner accomplishments on their shield. Moreover the phoenix in a ship can't be a Waertagi cityship as the cities were _on_ the dragons.

>Does anyone have different interpretations? (Or is this really the heraldry
>of something else? After all, the University was founded well before the
>Battle of Tanian's Victory, at a time when only the Waertagi sailed out of
>sight of land.)

The Waertagi did use ordinary ships before they captured the Sea Dragons. This is reaching back into the days of the Flood which was when the City and University (I think) were founded (see recent Q&A for an authoritative soucre). I don't know what the burning bird is.